The Broken Snare

"Blessed be the LORD,
Who has not given us to be torn by their teeth.
Our soul has escaped as a bird out of the snare of the trapper;
The snare is broken and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth."
Psalm 124: 6-8


     I love this passage.  It goes through my mind over and over daily.  "The snare is broken."  We don't have to be caught up in our sin, because Jesus broke the snare holding us captive.  He smashed it.  And "we have escaped."  "We have escaped," beloved.  Escaped.  Does it make sense for an escaped prisoner to voluntarily go back into captivity, not just once, but over and over?  But we do.  We go back over and over.  I do, at least.  But now, God brings this passage to mind and I ask myself, "why?"  Why do I go back?  It is illogical.  It is self-destructive.  "The snare is broken and we have escaped."  Let's stay out of that broken snare, shall we?  Thank you, Jesus, for being our help, for breaking that snare because we can't, for keeping us out of it because You are Creator and Mighty God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am not . . .

Crushed, but not broken

Psalm 127