Lean in

 I was working on a lesson for the discipleship class I am taking at my church this morning.  The text was from Psalm 1:1-3 - 

"How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers."

The question asked what it meant "his delight is in the law of the LORD."  I like to go back to original language when looking at definitions, so I used my Bible Hub App to look up this verse.  The note from Ellicott's Commentary said that the phrase could be rewritten "the law of Jehovah is his inclination" and that the Hebrew word literally means "to bend."  As I meditated on this, God gave me a beautiful picture.  When you are having a conversation with someone you love in a noisy environment, what do you do?  You lean in towards that person, you literally bend, in order to hear them more clearly, to catch every single word.  This is what it means to delight in the law of the LORD.  It means to lean in, to bend towards Him, so that we can hear Him more clearly.  Because we love Him so much, we don't want to miss a single thing He says, no matter how noisy our environment, so we bend towards Him to hear everything.  Delight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am not . . .

Crushed, but not broken

Psalm 127