Bible Study

My Bible study journey began so far back I can't really remember the very beginning, but here is a brief account of what I have learned and some ways to study that are helpful to me.

 When I was beginning my Christian walk as a child, I learned to do "devotions" by reading a verse or two and then reading a few paragraphs someone had written to help me understand and apply these verses.  As an adult, I've found questions better than readings to help me focus on those few verses (up to a chapter or two).  I like to start my day this way and have been doing this for years now.

 When I was 25, my wonderful friend introduced me to in-depth Bible study.  I started out with the deeper studies that others have written, reading scriptures and deep diving into the research others have done.  Now, more than twenty years later, I like to study for myself, not using "canned" studies, but scripture itself, dictionaries, commentaries, and maps to study scripture.  A lot of this came from the proliferation of tried and true Bible teachers who seem to be getting away from Biblical teaching and the need to protect the ladies in the study I lead from heresy.  Anyway, this type of study is all about details.  Understanding settings and word meanings.  Getting the thoughts and the applications in careful study and details.  I really like this type of study and try to carve out an hour or so most days (when I am being disciplined) to study this way.

 Several summers ago, I took a class on the gospels at our local Christian college.  It was one of those all day every day for a week classes.  Each evening, the instructor had us read one of the gospels.  Yes, a WHOLE gospel.  He explained the importance of reading large chunks of scripture and seeing the forest, rather than only ever looking at the trees.  I did that for the class and have been pondering it since.  This is the sort of "read through the Bible in a year" type study or reading a whole book several times in a row.  Reading large chunks and mulling it over, but not looking at the details so much.  I always have trouble with the "read through the Bible in a year" schedules because I fail by about the third week in January and can't get "back on schedule".  Earlier this year, I heard a preacher talk about Bible reading plans.  His was simple.  Start in Genesis and read.  Stick a bookmark in where you leave off.  The next day pick up there and read some more.  When you finish Revelation, go back to Genesis.  No schedule.  This helped me a lot (as silly as it seems that I never thought of it that way before).  I am now reaping the benefits of reading larger chunks.  I also like to read the book I am doing a detailed study of over and over during a separate "study time" in my day.  This is how I like to end my day.  

So which is better - classic devotions, detailed study, or large chunk reading for an overview?  Actually, I am finding that the answer is all three.  There are benefits to each and pitfalls for only doing details or overviews.  Overviews only lead to a "milk" mentality and less growth.  But details only means that, while you may be getting your steak and veggies, you start missing out on the big picture of the Bible.  The overview readings help us remember that EVERYTHING is about Jesus and we grow closer to Him as we ponder this and listen to His plan.  Salvation by grace through faith because of the finished work of Christ was the plan from Genesis 1:1 all the way through the end of Revelation.  The details help us to navigate each day and grow closer to Him in the moments, working out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).  

 So what do I suggest?  Read your Bible, study your Bible, taking time for details and for overviews, because the goal is to know Him.  As Moses says in Exodus 33:13, "Now then, if I have found favor in Your sight in any way, please let me know Your ways so that I may know You, in order that I may find favor in Your sight."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suffering

Letting Go

Book Review - A History of the American People by Paul Johnson