Book Review - A History of the American People by Paul Johnson

 Book Review - A History of the American People by Paul Johnson


I don’t really like using textbooks in our homeschool, especially for history.  A History of the American People by Paul Johnson is definitely not a textbook, but it does give a thorough history that will enrich an education.  This book was recommended in The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise and was also recommended on this year’s G3 Reading Challenge, so I decided to check it out as a possibility for part of my high schooler’s American history credit.  I’m so glad I did.  Don’t get me wrong, reading it was daunting, it is almost 1000 pages, but it was worth the time.  Paul Johnson delivers a very readable and well written history of the United States and her people from the beginning of colonization up to 1997.  There were times when the perspective given was different from one I had heard in previous courses and readings, and this enriched my understanding.  I would recommend this as a great read for anyone who would like to know more about the history of our nation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am not . . .

Book Review - The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

Beauty in the hard times