Imagination

  Why did God give us an imagination?  What are acceptable uses for imagination?  The dictionary says that imagination is the ability to form new ideas, images, and concepts without immediate input from our senses.  This seems like a good thing, and it is.  But where is the line?  Our imagination gives us the ability to imagine.  Basically, this gives us the ability to make up fiction as well as solve problems in novel ways.  Is fiction okay?  I think so.  There are obvious lines fiction can cross that takes us into sinful thinking, but we should be able to recognize that, right?  Sometimes we imagine things that aren’t fiction.  Like, when you read imagery in Revelation and picture it in your mind.  Is that imagination?  Maybe not, because you are getting input to your senses from the Word.  I guess my point is, my imagination can run wild in lots of different directions, some good, some not so good.

Have you ever been in the dark and just filled in the blanks with what was out there only to scare yourself out of your wits?  Have you ever seen a family in a restaurant and filled in the blanks with their whole life story, not knowing anything about them?  Have you ever read a book and then, when you were finished, filled in more of the story from your own thoughts?  I do all of these at times.  I guess I just need to be careful to make sure that I still “pre-plant” my mind with God-honoring thoughts (you know, things that are pure, right, excellent, praiseworthy, lovely, admirable, noble, and true (from Philippians 4:8)).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am not . . .

Crushed, but not broken

Psalm 127