Psalm 120

  This summer, some friends and I are looking at the Psalms of Ascent (Psalms 120-134; our packet uses the Legacy Standard Bible).  This is the packet of study we are using - here.


First, a few notes I made about worship to get started with these Psalms.  Worship is an act of homage or reverence to God; it is sinful to render worship to any created being (I got this from the BLB app).  We worship God because of who He is and what He has done.  We worship God by our obedience and submission to Him.  Worship involves praise, thanksgiving, and a true heart.  We worship Him in spirit and in truth (see John 4:23-24).


Today, I’m going to share some of my notes for Psalm 120:


120 (Biblical text in italics)

In my distress I called to Yahweh, (This is the first place we need to go when we are distress, straight to God.  Jeremiah shows us a great example of this with the book of Lamentations.  You can find a free mini-study from BSF on Jeremiah and Lamentations here.)


And He answered me. (God always answers us.  We may not think He is answering because He says “wait” or even “no” or doesn’t rescue us immediately, but He is sovereign and always does what is best for us.)


2 O Yahweh, deliver my soul from a lying lip,

From a deceitful tongue.  (I found a few notes that pointed me to Psalm 141:3 and James 3:1-12, looking at our own mouths.  I also found notes talking about this being a deceitful enemy.  I think I agree more with the enemy, but that doesn’t mean those references aren’t important.  The tongue is difficult to deal with in ourselves and in others.)


3 What shall He give to you, and what shall He add to you,

O deceitful tongue?

4 Sharp arrows of the warrior,

With the burning coals of the broom tree.


5 Woe is me, for I sojourn in Meshech, (Meshech was a son of Japheth and a grandson of Noah.  This is land far off and not following Yahweh’s commands.)


For I dwell among the tents of Kedar!  (Kedar is a son of Ishmael and a grandson of Abraham.  This is another land far off from Israel.  The Psalmist feels like an alien in a foreign land.)


6 Too long has my soul had its dwelling

With those who hate peace.

7 I am for peace, but when I speak,

They are for war. (The Psalmist longs for peace but doesn’t feel like he will ever find it.  Those around him are deceitful and hate peace.  In our disquiet, when others slander us, we must pursue the Lord and He will give us peace.  Grudges have no place in our lives.  The Lord will execute vengeance on whom He sees fit.  See Deuteronomy 32:35 and Hebrews 10:30-31.  Remember, “There, but for the grace of God, go I . . . .” See also Ephesians 2:14-22 and Colossians 3:15)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am not . . .

Crushed, but not broken

Psalm 127